Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Networked Student

I had never heard of connectivisim until I saw this video! By using social networking as a learning device, the student is able to learn and connect with other students online, and the process continues. I also didn’t know about Google Scholar! I can use this in the classroom by assigning students a history topic to research on Google Scholar, bookmark it, and post the URL for others to view and explore. And of course using the blog is very helpful, as I have learned through having my own in this class. It allows you to read other opinions about a specific topic and then form your own by writing on your blog. This is the new way to learn in the 21st Century.

I think I have a lot to learn, but am eager to become a networked teacher. This course has taught me so much about technology and its effects. It has introduced me to technology that I did not even know existed. The connection tools mentioned in this video allow a student to build their own personal learning network. I notice that iTunes U is used, once again to download lectures, etc. The student is actually able to create his own virtual textbook using RSS reader, create his own Wiki, while working on this same topic. The great thing is that other students will be able to learn from everything this student has posted online. So in a sense, he is the student AND the teacher at the same time! I like the artwork illustrated by her son, I’m assuming. It was very simple, but the message was clear and concise.

The RSS feeds allow the student to subscribe to almost any type of changing content on the internet. He makes new contacts and also learns from those he already knows, without ever opening a textbook. New tools are being created every day, so educators need to take notice and embrace this new technological way of teaching. The student needs a teacher even though she does not actually lecture. She teaches him HOW to build his personal learning network and take advantage of the learning opportunities. She offers the student guidance when he gets stuck, she shows him to communicate properly and ask respectfully when requesting help from experts. Teaching students to be respectful is still very important, even if they are learning online. She also shows him how to tell the difference between good information and propaganda, how to really dig, and research for information. The teacher hopes the student will continue to use his personal learning network in the future because these ARE the skills he will need in the 21st Century. And they are skills I intend to teach to my students as well. I could use tips from Wendy Drexler, especially if she is using this to teach middle school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment