Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"What I've Learned This Year"

"Stay Positive" Those are powerful words that can achieve great things. Mr. McClung seems wise for a first year teacher. Here is another blog about culture he uses for his social studies class, McClung Culture Blog. He realizes the importance of putting the students' needs first. Getting to know your students is so important and he realized it the very first year. Some teachers never do. It is probably very easy to fall into that mentality of "I'm going to impress these teachers with what I know." I am going to remember the advice about the lesson plan, and not getting so hung up on it being perfect. Yes, giving an excellent lecture is important, but making sure the students understand what you are teaching and comprehend it is crucial.

McClung also points out that communication is key to building a good working relationship with other teachers, as well as students. I decided a long time ago that I want to be the kind of teacher who will be there for my students if they need someone to listen to their problems. McClung tells us to be realistic when it comes to the expectations of our students. As teachers, do not set the student up for disappointment and failure by setting the bar too high. There will be times they will fail, or not comprehend totally. We have to realize that each one learns at different rates and speeds. I feel his most message on this blog is to keep your classroom "all about the students" and I am all for that. We have to inspire and empower our students!

1 comment: