Monday, September 14, 2009

A Vision of Students Today

The concept of hearing only the music and none of the students speaking, while holding up their notes, really held my attention. The majority of my instructors do actually know my name. Maybe that is because South is a smaller university. The environment for a college student of 2009 is far different than it was 10 years ago. Technology, and all that comes with it, can either help or hurt us as students. It all depends on how you choose to use it. If you sit in class and visit FaceBook or web browse the entire time, as I’ve seen many do, you won’t learn a thing. However, if you use some of the technology offered to your benefit, it can be a valuable tool. Not all instructors are “technologically literate”, and need to make an effort to get onboard. This YouTube video is very unique and inventive with one person speaking a word.

As a fellow student, I can relate to some of their messages. Such as, the astronomical cost of tuition and the debt I am incurring each semester; the increase in students reading and learning online versus the “ancient way,” (from a book, or a chalkboard). Also, my average class size is usually around 30 people, not 115.
I definitely agree with the guy about the expensive textbooks never used! Why is that? I average about 7 hours of sleep each night and do watch a good bit of television, I must say. But if I were a video producer, I would put more female students over the age of 30 in this video, with notes reading, “I work 40 hours a week, have a family AND complete my assignments.” There are more and more college students over the age of 30 now, some even over 40, like me. Just think about our presentations in class last week, so many of us are doing just that, working full time, taking care of a family and going to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment